Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Some Thoughts

Wow, has it really been a month since my last post? I do have a few things that I want to share. Let's begin with a quote from the Tangible Kingdom.

"Since he seemed opened to talk, I lobbed up this question: 'If Christianity was only about finding a group of people to live life with, who shared openly their search for God and allowed anyone, regardless of behavior, to seek too, and who collectively lived by faith to make the world a little more like Heaven, would you be interested?' 'Hell yes!' was his simple reply. He continued. 'Are there churches like that?'"

The question I have posed to groups recently is, "Does the church today in anyway resemble the church of the first century?" Most admit it does not! My purpose is not to engage in church bashing - there is enough of that going on today. The most constructive thing we can do is get serious about being a "follower" of the one who said, "Deny yourself." We think we do well at "following" Jesus to the church ...and to Bible study ..and to small group ...and to prayer meeting . What about "following" Him to the poor, the needy, the homeless, the addict, the prostitute, the imprisoned, the skeptic, and the openly godless.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Unknown said...

Hi Craig, I have quickly perused your posting and sight, and viewed the book titles you have listed. I hope that as the pastor of evangelism there at FBC, the gospel is still the main thing that is taken to the poor. I know there is a movement to alleviate the "social needs" of the poor, and to redistribute wealth. but I hope that you see past Satan's plan and are steadfast with the gospel, as that is humanity's key problem, and the only true solution is the reign of Christ as Lord!

Anonymous said...

And after following Christ to the poor and the needy, how cool would it be to see Christians leading them to church? I feel like so many people today turn up their noses when someone dressed in dirty clothes, with messy hair, or bare feet walks into a church, almost as if they don't belong there. I wish more people would realize that church isn't for the people who have their lives in perfect order. It's for the needy, and the broken, and truth be told, we're all SO broken!

http://www.aprender-a-bailar.blogspot.com

Craig said...

A few additional thoughts related to the comments. I absolutely agree that the Gospel is the main thing. The problem is most church members today do not understand the Gospel. I think the more insidious activity of Satan is to propagate the idea that all we need to do as believers is to share a few Bible verses and "get" people to pray a prayer.

We are NOT saved by works but the Bible is very clear that WE ARE saved to good works. Most witnessing encounters today do not include the words "surrender", "sacrifice", "die to self", or "take up your cross". Consequently, we have no concept of Christ-centered incarnational ministry.

Amy, I totally agree with you. Even when people do help, they want to do it from a distance. We are blessed to be able to work with the homeless on a daily basis. God loves our homeless friends just as passionately as he does any member of our church. There is a reason that over 2,000 passages of scripture deal with the poor and needy.

Raquel said...

I hit next blog and well, your blog was next. Boy, am I happy I fell here. Great post and encouragement! We aren't commanded to do church but to be church to the world.

gonefishing said...

I don't think churches are supposed to resemble those of the first century are they??? Can the church cope with cultural changes??

I like the end sentence on your post because i like james 1:27.

Poppy

Craig said...

Very well said Raquel

Cross revealed said...

Once everything else breaks loose, and men's hearts begin to fail them for the fear of what is coming down from Heaven, we will see that Church. As for now, she is invisable but to those who seek her.
Yes, a simple body of simple believers. No program. No worship team. No fluff. Only Jesus. Amen

Cross revealed said...

www.crossrevealed.blogspot.com

eliminate credit card debt said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.